Sunday 26 June 2011

My first attempt at making macarons

"I can't eat anymore!!!" said by one of my best friends, Kyile. We were sitting in the lounge of a hotel in Hong Kong, stuffing ourselves with cakes, truffles, puddings and 10+ other desserts. Did I mention it was a dessert buffet? I cannot remember whose idea was it, but we did have a great time. An hour into eating, we all said we couldn't eat anymore, appreciating the harbour view, chatting away... but every 5 minutes someone would disappear and return with a plate of treats, claiming 'This is my last one...'. I remember my last dessert was a small plate of very cute, colourful and irresistible macarons.


This was my first attempt at making macarons. I followed a recipe in the book "I Love Macarons" by Hisako Ogita. I love the book. The amount of detail is incredible, each step is illustrated by a photo to show exactly what you need to do. It also covers many different fillings. Although the recipe does not seem complex, there are lots of things which can go wrong, especially getting the 'drying time' right before baking. I had to make a few batches to perfect the timing.


Going through my cupboard in the kitchen, I couldn't help but adding the blueberry honey I bought in Italy to the butter cream. It gave the cream a lovely tangy favour. Hopefully these will clear the Monday blues in the office tomorrow.






0 comments:

Post a Comment